We’ve noticed you might be viewing our website from a different location. Visit your regional site for more relevant information and pricing.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update

Latest updates:

Date: 15/06/20

Thank you for your patience since the beginning of COVID. As you know, many camps have suspended operations for 2020, but others have moved ahead to open their doors for 2020 with advanced safety measures in place. Working closely with our visa sponsors we have tried to remain realistic in facilitating the Camp Leaders program this summer if it was feasible and safe to do so.

At this time, the US Embassies in Europe will most likely not be able to process J1 visa applications through the end of June 2020, and the US Presidential Proclamation remains in place restricting entry to the US from the Schengen Area.

While we want to support those who wish to travel, the current travel restrictions, health directives and embassy non-immigrant visa processing restrictions are unfortunately out of our control.

We realize that this will be disappointing news for many of you as you continue to hope for the opportunity to travel to camp this summer.

Given this announcement, we want to provide guidance on next steps. First, almost all camps are providing the opportunity for their staff to defer to next summer, so we strongly encourage you to contact your camp and confirm this possibility.

Next, we want to provide simple solutions should you or your camp choose not to continue for this season. When you log into your profile, you will find the possibility to defer to next season or to request a refund. This is now available for all participants who have not already deferred or requested a refund. This feature is not available on our app. Please log in online to defer.

To avoid delays in processing your deferral or refund, we strongly recommend that you select an option from your profile rather than contacting us via email. Our reduced customer service teams are managing a large number of requests, and by accessing the next steps on your account, we will be better able to serve you promptly.

If your camp remains open this summer and you are still interested in taking part in the program with a later start date we encourage you to reach out to your camp and confirm. Once you have done this please get in touch with our team via email.

Frequently Asked Questions

Important: as this situation develops, these frequently asked questions may contain information that is no longer valid. We will update this page as we receive more information about the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation.

Updated: 15/06/20

Is Camp Leaders still going ahead for 2020?

At this time, the US Embassies all of the world will most likely not be able to process J1 visa applications through the end of June 2020. The US Presidential Proclamation remains in place restricting entry to the US from the Schengen Area.

While we want to support those who wish to travel, the current travel restrictions, health directives and embassy nonimmigrant visa processing restrictions are unfortunately out of our control.

If your camp remains open this summer and you are still interested in taking part in the program with a later start date we encourage you to reach out to your camp and confirm. Once you have done this, please get in touch with our team via email..

How are decisions being made about the program?

We are staying informed on the latest advisories and recommendations made by relevant government, health, and travel agencies. These include:

  • The World Health Organization
  • The American government
  • The Foreign Office and Public Health authority of each participant's home country

We are also relying on the experience of our global head office in the UK, and our local office in the USA, as well as each of our partner camps.

Can I defer my application to next summer?

All participants can now defer their application easily within their profile without needing to email the Camp Leaders team. We understand that some of you may have already set plans for summer 2021 so we are extending deferrals to summer 2022. For those that choose to defer, we are excited to get you to camp in the future. If you wish to defer your application please log in to your account and follow the steps on your home screen. This feature is not available on our app. Please log in online to defer.

Can I withdraw from the program now due to the Coronavirus?

As the program is still going ahead this summer the standard terms and conditions of your programme agreement apply, including any eligibility for a refund. We highly recommend that you continue with your application.

Can I get a refund if I do not want to go anymore due to COVID-19?

All participants can now defer or request a refund within their profile without needing to email the Camp Leaders team.

To avoid delays in processing your deferral or refund, we strongly recommend that you select an option from your profile rather than contacting us via email. Our reduced customer service teams are managing a large number of requests, and by accessing the next steps on your account, we will be better able to serve you promptly.

What if the camp I was placed at cancels my placement?

There are currently two options for those affected by camp cancellations:

  1. Defer your application to summer 2021 or 2022 - Where possible we ask that you defer your application to 2021 or 2022. Almost all camps are providing the opportunity for their staff to defer to next summer, so we strongly encourage you to contact your camp and confirm this possibility. If you wish to defer your application to next summer we will move your application and the fees you have paid to summer 2021 or 2022.

  2. Review your refund options - We can review your options for a refund. This will be done on a case-by-case basis and will be based on the services you have already received, your application stage and how much you have paid.

If you have been affected by a camp cancellation our team will be in touch directly with you to discuss how you would like to proceed.

What if I or someone else contracts the virus during the program?

All medical issues at camp will utilize the camp’s well-being protocol. Each camp's protocol will be different, but will typically include access to the camp's health center, medical professionals, and the support of local health authorities.

If I contract Coronavirus whilst on the program, will I be covered by the medical insurance?

Yes, you will receive regular insurance coverage, provided you were not diagnosed with Coronavirus before starting your trip. If you are experiencing any symptoms of illness before departure, we ask that you follow your local health authority's guidance.

What are my next steps?

At this point, based on the information we have received, applicants who are interested in the Camp Leaders programme should proceed with their applications as normal. Next steps may include submitting all necessary paperwork and completing your profile.

What should I do about booking flights?

If you are concerned about flight changes or cancellations, we would recommend booking with a credit card that provides travel and cancellation insurance. You may also want to consider purchasing additional travel insurance from a provider of your choice. For specific details of coverage in case of cancellations, we suggest discussing with your credit card or insurance provider.

What should I do if I can't get my medical form signed?

We are aware that this is an incredibly busy time for health services. Therefore, we have extended our medical form deadlines for any participants whose GP have advised that they cannot provide you with a signed form due to the current circumstances. If your GP has the capability to accept the form via an online submission, this may be a possibility, as no physical examination is required. If you already have a signed medical form, you can now upload this to the document section of your Camp Leaders profile.

What if the camp I was placed at does not run this summer?

We work with over 500 camps in the United States, if for any reason your camp does not run, we will work to find you a placement at another camp.

Is summer camp likely to happen?

The majority of our American camps are still very excited to welcome international staff this summer, and are working on preparations for the summer ahead. Due to the unprecedented circumstances, it is highly likely that some camp programs will change. This may affect the length, the type of activities that run, or the amount of children at camp. We ask that you remain open minded and flexible in your approach to your camp and the summer.

I still have instalments to pay, should I pay them now or wait?

We understand that in the current climate, people may be anxious to pay, or want to wait until a time closer to summer. We advise that all participants from now until further notice wait until they are contacted by Camp Leaders before paying any further instalments. Please note that before you depart to the U.S, you will have to pay in full.

Can I get a refund if I do not want to go anymore due to COVID-19?

As the program is still going ahead this summer the standard terms and conditions of your programme agreement apply, including any eligibility for a refund. We highly recommend that you continue with your application.

How should I contact the office about my application?

Due to the coronavirus, we are receiving a high volume of queries and are operating on reduced staffing levels. Please email us at info@campleaders.com, or contact us via livechat if you need to speak to a team member. We ask that if you are not due to travel in the near future, and do not have an emergency, to please wait for Camp Leaders to contact you before contacting us. We have now reserved our phone systems for high-priority outbound calls only.

I’ve not been placed yet, are camps still hiring for summer 2020?

Yes, our camps are still hiring for summer 2020.

Previous Updates

Date: 17/03/20

Based on the current situation of the coronavirus (COVID-19), Camp Leaders have made the decision to pause all new applications for summer 2020 effective immediately. Any applications started before 17th March will be unaffected and can continue forward as normal. All new applications from 17th March 2020 will be deferred until further notice. 

This decision has been made to allow us to provide our current applicants with the high standard of customer care and service we pride ourselves on.

Our summer camps are continuing to operate and are excited to welcome Camp Leaders participants this summer, and as ever, we’re excited to support you on your summer of a lifetime.

The Camp Leaders team will be reaching out directly to every applicant over the coming days and weeks, to ensure that you are supported through this challenging global situation.

Date: 16/03/20

Across many countries in Europe, the US Embassy has postponed visa interview appointments until further notice. We are monitoring this situation and are in close contact with our visa sponsors. We expect the postponement to last approximately 30 days.

At this time we ask that you continue to move forward with your application. Please complete all available sections to ensure you are ready when visa interview appointments are re-opened.

If you have a visa appointment scheduled on or before 16th April, the Camp Leaders team will reach out to you directly. We recommend that all applicants wait to be contacted about their visa appointments.

Date: 14/03/20

On March 13th the US Department of State announced the temporary pause of international exchange programs due to COVID-19. The Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) will temporarily pause all ECA funded programs. This has also been extended to privately funded programs which includes the Exchange Visitor Program, the visa on which the Camp Leaders program operates. This temporary pause is expected to last 60 days.

At Camp Leaders we will continue to work towards our May and June departures and expect there to be limited impact on travel to camp.

If you have a departure date that falls before May 11th 2020 our team will be directly in touch with you.

If you are not due to travel on or before May 11th we recommend that you wait before contacting us with Coronavirus related queries to ensure we have the latest information available for your travel.

Date: 12/03/20

On March 11th President Trump signed a Presidential Proclamation which suspends the entry of most foreign nationals who have been in certain European countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival to the United States.

This proclamation is expected to last 30 days and applies to the countries located in the Schengen area.

At this point, travel from Non-Schengen countries remains unaffected, provided you have not travelled in a Schengen area in the last 14 days.

At Camp Leaders we will continue to work towards our May and June departures and expect there to be limited to no impact on travel to camp.

If you are currently in one of the areas affected and/or have a departure date that falls before the 11th April 2020 our team will be directly in touch with you.

If you are not due to travel in the near future we recommend that you wait before contacting us with Coronavirus related queries to ensure we have the latest information available for your travel.

Date: 09/03/20

Camp Leaders are committed to the welfare and safety of our participants and have been monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation closely.

We are staying informed on advisories from WHO, CDC, and other relevant local and international agencies. We are also relying on updates from our US team, partners and camps. At this time based on the guidelines and information from the sources outlined above, the Camp Leaders programme will be going ahead as planned for summer 2020.

We will continue to monitor the situation closely and provide updates if the situation is to change.