FAQ - The Program

Why do I need to go through Camp Leaders to get to camp?

When you go to camp you’ll be travelling on a J-1 Cultural Exchange visa and you need sponsorship to do so. Camp Leaders is a leading agency who will organise this sponsorship. We’ve sent over 35.000 people to summer camps all over the US and by going with the leaders, you’re giving yourself the summer of a lifetime.

Can I find my own camp?

Yes you can find your own summer camp, if you get placed, you can still come through us for your visa sponsorship.

Can I pay in installments?

Yup, no problem. We have a recommended two part payment plan, but we also understand this might not work for everyone. You can also choose to pay in a way which works for you, and have this set up with our teams.

I am unable to pay until a later date, is that ok?

We want to make sure that your payment plan suits you. If you’re worried about your payments, please give us a call and we’ll be more than happy to help.

If I say no to a camp, can it affect my refund policy?

If a camp that’s within your preference selection wants to hire you but you don’t want to go, for a trivial reason, it could affect your refund. Speak to a member of the team if you’re not feeling sure.

What happens if I don't get hired?

This year we’re offering you a guaranteed place or your money back. We’re that confident we can find you a place at summer camp that if for any reason we can’t, we’ll refund your program fees in full*. When you go with the Leaders you go to summer camp.

*Program fees can be found outlined above and in our program agreement. The refund does not cover any 3rd party costs you may incur such as flights, background checks or visa fees. You are only eligible for the refund if you stay on the program until July 1st and do not withdraw your application.

Can I choose a specific state/location?

We work with over 500 camps in the USA (at least one in every state other than Hawaii), and every single one offers something special. You can choose which type of camp you can go to but not the location. Many camps hire based on personality, so we like to let the camp directors choose as it will ensure you have the best summer for all the right reasons.

What is covered in my insurance?

The insurance you receive as part of the program is a basic medical package, however you are able to upgrade your policy, to include travel insurance or to premium cover, from your profile. If you have a pre-existing medical condition or are travelling with expensive equipment, we’d recommend researching alternative cover.

What if I have a pre-existing illness, will Camp Leaders insurance cover me?

The insurance cover included in your Camp Leaders package doesn't cover pre-existing medical conditions. Should you need additional cover or care, we can help advise the best options.

What criminal background check do I need?

We need a standard criminal background check dated past the 1st September of the season you’re applying.

What is the visa sponsor document?

You will only need to upload this document if your visa sponsor is CIEE. You will be told this in advance, so if you don’t hear about it you shouldn’t worry.

I don't have enough people to get 3 references, what do I do?

You’ll need three references to get to camp, this can be any professional reference, a manager at work, coach, teacher, lecturer, supervisor, the list goes on. These references can be from the same place too.

How many days can I stay in the US after I finish camp?

You can stay in America for 30 days after your employment ends.

Can I go to Canada or Mexico when I travel?

Yes you can, just be aware that if you do leave the US to go to one of these countries, and wish to return to the US, you need to come into the country on an ESTA. You will also need an ETA to travel to Canada.

Applying with us is just the beginning of a long-lasting relationship. If you’d like to know more please reach out, we’re always here to help.