Camp Leaders eligibility
Summer camp is the best place in the world to try new things, learn about yourself, and turn the page toward the next chapter of your life.
You'll need to fulfil some basic requirements for the J1 visa program in America. If you’re worried you might not meet the requirements, please contact us. What might seem like an issue might not be a problem at all - you don’t know until you ask.
Be part of an open community of people from all over the world at camp.
- You're at least 18 years old by June 1st.
- You're available to fly out between May 1st and June 15th.
- You're available to spend 9 weeks at camp from the date you depart.
- You can speak English fluently.
- You have a clean criminal background.
Camps are looking for international staff who are enthusiastic, open, and willing to support their young campers during a fun summer.
Qualifications come second, but may open up opportunities for different roles at camp, such as being an activity leader. If you’ve got a qualification in a specific sport, creative skill, childcare, or teaching, you'll get hired at a camp even quicker.
Ready to get started?
- You'll be working in an environment with children aged between 6-16.
- Parents have trusted camps with the wellbeing of their children.
- Camp is fun, but it's hard work too.
- You'll have time off to explore and recharge during your time at camp (along with 30 free days to travel after camp).
- You'll be away from home for at least 9 weeks.
Frequently asked eligibility questions
Is there an age limit for summer camp in America?
No, there is no upper age limit to work at camp as a counselor. The only age requirement is that you must be 18 by June 1st.
Do I have to be a student to apply?
No, you don't have to be a student to be a camp counselor. However if you would like to work in a support staff role such as working in the camp office, kitchen, maintenance or laundry then you must be a student.
How long do you go to camp in America for?
Camp counselor roles last for 9 weeks and start at various dates between May 1st and June 20th. After camp you will have 30 free days to travel around America.
What dates do I need to be available?
Camps typically start between May 1st and June 19th, and finish 9 weeks after the start date. If you’re available for the summer months, then you can go to camp.
Do I need to have a police check to go to summer camp?
Yes, everyone needs a valid police check. The police check must be in date from the September of the year you are applying. As you are working with children this is essential.
Do I need to have experience working with children?
No, as long as your willing to work with children. Any experience will be a bonus, no matter how small. If you don't have experience with children, then why not volunteer before you go? Even if it’s just looking after younger family members, it all counts.